Early in 2012 we have undertaken the task of refurbishing the valve spindle and bushes on the beam engine.
This was not done when we installed the engine at Coldharbour as I felt that it`s condition was just passable and due to the time constraint of having the engine running by the mill`s 200th anniversary which, incidentally, we did achieve.
I am fairly sure that it is the original spindle which has been built up with weld at some time in the past.
Having machined it parallel I noticed that the weld material had some porosity in it so I took another cut.
The situation did not improve so I polished it up and we shall have to live with a small amount of pitting in the surface.
The finished diameter is very conveniently the same size as the bottom thread.
The bronze bush in the bottom of the gland and the top flange needed re-bushing so I made and fitted a phosphor bronze bush in each. All was re-assembled and the valve set in its previous position on the spindle.
The slipper pads on the back of the valve were adjusted so that they are just clear of the valve chest cover and the cover complete with a new gasket has been fitted.